MWSA RE-OPENING 2.0 FAQs
The Mill Woods Seniors Association reopened its doors to MWSA members on Monday, March 15, 2021, with new procedures and safety precautions.
Q: What can I expect when I arrive at MWSA?
A: Participants will check in with MWSA's Greeter. Once your name is confirmed on the list, the greeter will then check your temperature, and go through the COVID-19 health screening. To protect our members, volunteers, and patrons, MWSA has the right to refuse entry. If you are sick or have been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, please stay home, and take the COVID-19 Self-Assessment.
All participants will be required to maintain a physical distance of 9 ft (3m).
Q: Do I have to wear a mask to come to MWSA? What if I have a health condition?
A: All participants, instructors, members, staff, and volunteers will be required to wear a face mask (covering the nose, mouth, and chin) at all times while in the facility. If you are not able to wear a mask, we kindly ask that you stay home and participate in our online programming.
Q: Do I have to wear a mask if I am vaccinated?
A: Yes. All patrons must have a face mask at all times at the centre, including during fitness programs.
Q: Do I have to keep my mask on during physical fitness programs?
A: Yes. If you are not able to wear a mask at all times, we suggest that you participate in MWSA's virtual fitness programs in the comfort and safety of your home. If you are at the centre, and require to change your face mask, please ask for a disposable one at the Front Desk.
Q: What is MWSA doing for preventative measures?
A: We have a shared responsibility to keep our common areas safe. The Board of Directors has also approved MWSA Policy OH-7.
- Frequent cleaning of high touch surfaces and equipment between programs
- Increased public sanitizer and wipes; plastic shields at the Front Desk and Cafe counters
- Limited capacities in program rooms, and appointment-based meetings only, i.e no drop-ins
- Program hours have been adjusted to allow time for sanitation and preparation between programs
- Building signage for physical distancing, new occupancy limits, and hygiene protocols
- Floor markings for traffic flow, physical distancing, and alternate exits
- Employees and volunteers will receive daily health and temperature checks. Self-isolation will be required if any staff/volunteer has been travelling, exhibiting symptoms, or has been exposed to someone exhibiting symptoms.
Q: What can volunteers/members do to keep themselves and others safe?
A: Participants will be required to follow the following procedures:
- Arrive only 5-10 minutes before the start of the program to limit traffic and congestion. Participants may have to wait outside the building if there are too many people arriving at the same time or too early.
- Bring your own mats and exercise equipment, and filled water bottles. Participants will not have access to water fountains.
- Please arrive at the Centre with appropriate clothing and footwear. Changing at the facility is strongly discouraged.
- At this time, the Centre will only open to participants who are attending programs or volunteering, i.e no drop-ins. We ask participants to leave shortly after their program/volunteer shift ends. If you would like to socialize, please do so outside the building, with physical distancing, of course.
- Spend a few minutes at the beginning and at the end of your program to sanitize your hands and surfaces. Frequent hand washing is one of the best ways to prevent the spread of infection.
Q: Will the café area be open for people to sit and visit?
A: At this time, the café will not be open for socializing and dine-in service. We encourage customers to support the 2nd Floor Cafe takeout service.
Q: What will MWSA do if someone tests positive for COVID-19 at the Centre?
A: We will comply with all the requirements and regulations set by Alberta Health Services and the City of Edmonton COVID Rapid Response plan, followed by increased cleaning and disinfection within the Centre.
Q: How do to register for MWSA programs?
A: All participants will need to pre-register for their programs and classes. At this time, there will not be any drop-in options. For your safety and convenience, we request MWSA members to register for programs online, by using My Active Center (www.myactivecenter.com).
Q: I am a member of another seniors centre. Can I participate in your programs?
A: Yes, MWSA is a member of the Reciprocal Seniors Centre program, and we are happy to have other members participate in our programs. Please call 780-496-2997 to register.
Q: Are you still accepting memberships for MWSA?
A: Yes, this is one way you can continue to support MWSA. You can now apply for an MWSA membership online, www.mwsac.ca/membership
MWSA COVID-19 PROCEDURES/PROTOCOL
Entering the Centre
1. Due to COVID 19 protocols, MWSA members will only be permitted access to the Centre if they are here for one of the following purposes:
a. Registered for a program
b. Have an appointment
2. Participants who are sick or experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms are asked to stay home. MWSA will refuse entry to protect the safety and well-being of members, staff and volunteers.
3. Participants are required to wear a mask upon entry. Masks and face coverings are mandatory with the City of Edmonton bylaw. Masks made by MWSA Sewing Club will be available for purchase at $5 each, with a variety of patterns and colors to choose from.
4. Members will enter through the Main Entrance doors, and go through the Check-In Station with the assigned volunteers:
a. To take your temperature
b. Complete the Alberta Health Services COVID-19 Screening Tool
c. To take class attendance
5. Do not arrive more than 10 minutes prior to your class/shift. This allows us to control the flow of traffic for physical distancing
6. Please come dressed appropriately for your class with the proper footwear. Lockers will not be available, so leave all your valuables at home.
7. Please bring bottled water, as the water fountains will be temporarily closed.
Participating in MWSA Programs during COVID-19 RE-Opening
- All Participants will need to pre-register before arriving at MWSA. At this time, we are not accepting drop-ins for any of our programs.
- Participants will need to keep their face masks on at all times, including during fitness programs.
- Physical distancing protocols and signage will be in place. The floor will be marked for participants to ensure everyone maintains the required 3m (9 ft.) distance.
- Washrooms will be available for use, with a maximum of two people at a time.
- Water fountains will not be available. Please bring your own water bottle.
- The coatroom will be closed, but coat hangers and boot racks will be provided for your convenience.
- Remember to wash or sanitize your hands often, especially before and after handling any exercise equipment.
Exiting MWSA After a Program
- To allow for physical distancing, there will be new exit options. Signage and directional arrows will be placed around the Centre. MWSA staff and volunteers will also help direct traffic flow.
- Participants taking classes in the gym will exit out the WEST Exit (back staircase) unless the elevator is needed.
- Classes/Clubs in program rooms 225, 229, and 231 will leave from the EAST Exit (front staff staircase), unless the elevator is needed, exits will be clearly marked.
- All members will be required to exit the building promptly after their classes/clubs. Socializing will have to be done outside the Centre, with the proper physical distancing. We will need the extra time to clean and disinfect surfaces and equipment, between classes for everyone’s safety and well-being.
We thank everyone's participation and co-operation! We look forward to seeing you again!
If you have any questions that are not answered here, please give us a call at 780-496-2997 to speak to a staff member.